Thursday, January 17, 2008

Computer Applications & Lesson Ideas

When it comes to integrating technology into the curriculum, the possibilities are endless. If you can dream it, you can do it. Start by taking a lesson you have already done and change it in some small way to integrate technology. The trick is making sure that the technology is used as a supplement to the content, not the other way around. It doesn't have to be complicated or tricky. Here are some ideas using applications that are already on the computers that you probably already know how to use.

1. Microsoft Word

This basic, everyday application is usually thought of as simply a word processing application. But by using some of the features that are normally overlooked, Word becomes a resource for learning. I use the templates found in the Project Gallery to have my students create menus during our food chapter. I find that by using the templates, they spend a lot less time messing around with the layout and design, and are able to get down to the business of the task at hand. It forces them to use new vocabulary and categorize it. They get excited about being able to have choice and make decisions and often go above and beyond the requirements of the assignment. After they are done, I have them use each other's menus to practice ordering food and asking for things at a restaurant.

2. Power Point

Everyone knows that Power Point is great for preparing and giving presentations, but I use some of the other features of Power Point in my class to have my students create digital flashcards. By using transitions, timing, voice and image features the kids make their own interactive flashcards. Then after they are finished I put their flashcards online so they are accessible to everyone.

3. CPS: Classroom Performance System AKA "the clickers"
Of all the technology that I use in my classes "the clickers" are my students' favorite. CPS is a computer based system that allows teachers to assess and students to receive immediate feedback using individual remote controls or "clickers" and a portable receiver. The kids love the interaction and the competition and I love that my students actually get excited about an assessment.

No comments: